Planning an Office Move?
Office moves can be a stressful topic. With so many elements to consider, they can become a headache even just to think about. When seriously considering an office move it is important to have the right office move management team in place who can deal with the planning and logistics. For office movers, a hassle-free and smooth move causing minimal disruption is essential and with the right team in place, this can be easily achieved. Johnsons have the experience and knowledge to help you achieve such an office move, with our dedicated specialist team who have the know how to help your office move be as stress-free as possible. Whether local or international, we have the expertise to manage your office move.
Over the years, Johnsons have justifiably gained an excellent reputation for quality and excellence in office moves. This is down to the sheer depth and breadth of our experience, supported by our company-wide commitment to care, integrity and respect.
One of the areas we specialise in is office moves and throughout our history, we have carried out literally hundreds of moves for companies large and small. We’ve successfully carried out office move management projects of all shapes and sizes including internal moves due to office reorganisations and refurbishment, weekend and evening moves to minimise downtime and disruption, and multi-phase moves for large organisations where the volume of equipment and furniture is too large for a one-day office move.
Our highly skilled operatives are trained to plan methodically, and carefully pack and unpack the contents of your storage cabinets. This helps to make sure that all of your documentation is kept in the right order when it gets to your new location.
In addition, we are often trusted by our clients to handle irreplaceable and highly confidential documentation. To provide this service, we use our security vetted staff, tracked vehicles and proven transfer methods to give you the peace of mind that your confidential information is in safe hands all the way.
Managing Furniture Moves
In many business relocations that we carry out, we often have to dismantle, reconfigure and re-assemble furniture or equipment. To enable us to perform this service, we have our own team of commercial fitters available anywhere in the UK. In addition, we actively provide this unique service to a number of the UK’s leading companies, as a cost-effective alternative to using their own labour force.
Our specialist team of office movers can visit you at your business premises, survey the volume to move, talk through your requirements and develop a plan of action that meets your needs. After that you can rest assured you’re in safe hands.
Short or Long-term Storage
We provide specially designed storage facilities across the UK for commercial storage needs, making smarter use of the space you have. If you don’t have the space at your new office location, or don’t require the items/files on a daily basis, our storage solutions are worth considering. For more information on our office storage solutions, click here.
How to Make an Office Move a Success
The key to any successful office move is forward thinking and careful preparation. There are some key points to remember when starting an office move management project:Read more
- Do not underestimate how complex an office move is – Consider the time and resources at your disposal
- Plan early – This will give you enough time to consider any pitfalls and to sort out any issues
- Communication – Ensure the move is communicated to EVERYONE it may affect, internally and externally
- Always know your budget – Fully understand the budget that has been assigned to the office relocation and a budget plan approved by Senior Management outlining all costs involved. Keeping track of spending is essential to success so no major overspends occur
- Timetable – Have a schedule with key dates so the entire office move process is mapped out
- Get to know your new location – This will allow any staff concerns to be alleviated before the move and to ensure all plans are viable. A site survey will need to be carried out at your current and new location in order to provide a detailed plan and timescales involved
- Moving Checklist – Have a full and thorough moving checklist so nothing is missed
Considering the above, you should assess if you have the expertise internally or whether you may need more advice and knowledge thrown in the mix to make the office move a success. Johnsons can provide a variety of services to yourselves and can be involved as much or as little as you need. You may just need us to provide a removal and waste collection team or you may want us to project manage your move. Whatever your requirements, we will help you to achieve a smooth office move.
Benefits of Using an Office Move Management Team
How much planning and consideration needs to go into an office relocation plan? Having the time to dedicate to an office move project can be an issue, especially when it may involve consulting so many people. Using an office move management team means you can direct them as to what the business needs are. They will have the expertise to make it happen and give you the best possible advice. It means you can have greater control over the overall relocation plan as there is a safe pair of hands overseeing the move.
Our moving teams use their experience and knowledge to ensure your move causes as minimal disruptions as possible to business operations. As part of your office move management project, we work with you to plan how to have the smoothest move possible. This may include individuals working from home over the office moving period, setting up a skeleton operation from a different location, and office move time after hours and at weekends, which Johnsons are able to provide.
Reducing Waste Disposal Costs
JohnsonsZero can offer a variety of waste disposal options for your office relocation. We believe the best method is not to create waste in the first place. Therefore, any of your unwanted furniture can be donated, sold, recycled or even upcycled to benefit the environment and the local community. Businesses have a CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) to contribute to sustainability and an office relocation is no different.
We always aim to achieve a zero waste to landfill with the added benefits to yourselves of less waste disposal costs and a good reputation for meeting your environmental responsibilities. JohnsonsZero can advise and manage this as much or as little as you need them to. Whether a one-off collection to remove unwanted furniture and equipment (including IT equipment) or a full office move recycling project, we can meet your needs.
A Smooth Move
Having the expertise on board to help manage your office move means that you can feel safe knowing that every element of the move is covered. Initially, one of our project managers will come and spend some time getting to know your business and its needs. You will then have a bespoke project plan tailored to your business. This will include:
- An agreed schedule and goals
- Potential pitfalls and any risks
- Communicating with stakeholders
- Ensuring business operations continue
- Decommissioning, relocation and reinstallation of specialist equipment
- Contingency planning and strategy
Every element of your office move is covered.
Office Moves: Key Considerations
Any office move is a complex puzzle of many different elements. When planning an office move, there are some key considerations that should not be overlooked.
Tying Up Loose Ends
It’s important to ensure you have covered all bases when moving from one location to another. This should involve checking your current lease to see how much notice is required and whether there would be a charge for leaving your lease early. You also need to factor into your budget leaving your current office in a state of good repair and any waste disposal management that needs to be carried out.
One of the most essential and complicated parts of an office relocation is planning the IT moves. Unfortunately, any downtime during an office relocation could be costly. In a world where we rely on IT, an office move needs some serious planning to cause minimal disruptions to the normal working operations of a business. At Johnsons, we have dedicated IT specialist office movers. This means we offer a full range of IT relocation services to ensure you have a smooth office move with minimal downtime.
Services we offer:
- Server relocation – We have all the specialist knowledge you need. We provide the full resources, infrastructure and expertise to totally relocate data centre equipment across the UK and Europe
- Telecoms relocation
- Network card changes
- Cable management service – This includes ensuring all health and safety standards are met, whilst creating a less cluttered environment for staff to work in. This results in a workspace that is more attractive and open for all and we always ensure this fits in with your space planning and new layouts
- Structured cabling – We offer a complete cable roll-out service from start to finish
- PC move management – We can ensure all PCs and computer equipment are safely relocated with an install and setup service included
- PC and equipment software upgrades – We can ensure you are using the most up to date versions of software available
- Equipment deployment – We offer a full service for all types of regular and specialist equipment
- Asset registering
- Asset management – This includes a tracking service to give you a full picture of your IT assets as well as user and location details
- IT auditing
- PAT testing
- Management of redundant IT equipment – This includes secure data wiping, destruction and removals. We can also offer a resale service if equipment is in good condition
- Full IT managed services – This 24/7 managed service includes a dedicated service desk, business continuity management and an online back-up facility
IT management across an office move is probably the most complicated aspect of a relocation which cannot be done without the right expertise and knowledge. Johnsons specialist team can provide your business with a full IT relocation service or fill whichever gaps in your expertise you require.
This is probably the element which incorporates almost all other factors. After all, relocating to a new office allows a time for improving on what you have, making a better workplace environment and creating smoother processes. When looking at the space planning aspects of your office move management project, it is important to considering the following:
- A new layout that maximises efficiency
- How productivity can be maximised by working out the best layout for IT/telecoms, equipment, and furniture
- Environmental factors that could improve staff morale and the way people work including, natural light, an open office to encourage collaborative working, space, and good air circulation
- What furniture you need. What items out of your current furniture inventory can be reused, can anything me upcycled or repaired, is there anything that can be donated or resold, and what can be recycled. Any new furniture needs to be ordered early on
- Look at your document storage. It may be time to look at off-site storage facilities to enhance your space options. This may be particularly important if moving to a location with less storage space or if you want a less cluttered working environment. There may be documents that need archiving for auditing purposes for example, but do not need to be at hand in the office for reference purposes.
Communicating the Office Move
It is important to consider just how many people will be affected by your office relocation. This will be made up of not only internal staff but also external companies and clients as well.
Plans should be implemented to communicate the office move changes with:
- Key stakeholders: All members of staff should be made aware of the move and reassured about the plans in place, especially over the moving period
- Representatives from key departments: to enable information and expertise sharing at an early stage
- Service providers: when vacating a property any service providers should be informed such as utilities, telecoms, gas, electricity and water suppliers. This should also include any suppliers and insurance providers
- Clients: It is important to inform clients of an office move, especially if they may hold stationery such as headed paper with your old address on it. It can also be the perfect time to reconnect with clients and remind them of the service you provide and what you can offer as a business.
This ensures you cover all bases to inform everyone that your office move is taking place.
Ensure a Smooth and Professional Office Move
To get the best out of your office move, access Johnsons specialist services. These include:
- Johnsons Projects – Offering expert project management services, we work on your office move project with you, providing a service for every element of a successful move
- Johnsons Business Moves – Offering removal and storage solutions, including specialist removal teams and secure archive centres across the UK
- Johnsons Asset Recycling – Offering the best outcome for your redundant equipment and furniture in environmentally friendly ways, including furniture recycling options
To arrange a free, no obligation consultation with our Project Team please call us on 0800 279 2505 or email us at [email protected]. You can also complete our quick online contact form at the top of this page.
One principle concern for business owners as they relocate is the disruption possible downtime can bring - and not without good reason. Unanswered calls, broken booking systems and inactive…
The team at Wold Academy are very happy with the result. I would like to extend my personal thanks for all the hard work and effort put in to get this project over the line.
Johnsons moved Seaford and Newhaven Libraries for us over 2014-15. Both jobs went successfully due to the hard work and efficiency of the very friendly and helpful Johnsons Staff.
The moving process has been very efficient. The teams supplied were punctual, organised and couldn't do enough to help. This has made the whole experience of moving better for staff and students alike.
I was incredibly impressed with their ability to cope with a demanding and labour intense situation and will now only consider using Johnsons for any future work of this type.
Johnsons Business Moves have been appointed by this Trust as our preferred office relocation company for the past 10 years.
I would like to thank the team. Not only were they prompt in arrival, they also completed the job to a high standard and were extremely professional throughout.